Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart (Review)





Book Description

Do you remember the best summer of your life?

New York City, 1945. Marjorie Jacobson and her best friend, Marty Garrett, arrive fresh from the Kappa house at the University of Iowa hoping to find summer positions as shop girls. Turned away from the top department stores, they miraculously find jobs as pages at Tiffany & Co., becoming the first women to ever work on the sales floor—a diamond-filled day job replete with Tiffany blue shirtwaist dresses from Bonwit Teller's—and the envy of all their friends.

Hart takes us back to the magical time when she and Marty rubbed elbows with the rich and famous; pinched pennies to eat at the Automat; experienced nightlife at La Martinique; and danced away their weekends with dashing midshipmen. Between being dazzled by Judy Garland's honeymoon visit to Tiffany, celebrating VJ Day in Times Square, and mingling with Café society, she fell in love, learned unforgettable lessons, made important decisions that would change her future, and created the remarkable memories she now shares with all of us.

My Review:
I first saw this book mentioned on the 5 Minutes for Books website. Then I read a review by Carrie at Reading to Know and put it on my Paperback swap wish list. When Sheila, One Persons Journey Through a World of Books http://bookjourney.wordpress.com/, mentioned on her blog about doing a book club I was interested and then when I learned this would be the first book it was fate. I fell in love with the cover first and then the description. It was a great memoir and focused mainly on the events of one summer (1945) of this author's life. The author does a good job especially considering how many decades passed before writing this book. I really liked all the details about what they saw and did. It has a good wrap up at the end letting you know what happened to everyone and I enjoyed that closure. Recommended. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Sheila chose this book to. I would have never chosen it myself and would have missed out on a very good book!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

It was a fun read wasnt it? I really enjoyed it. I posted today the interview chat with Marjorie Hart as well as a hard cover copy of the book she is going to give away for us. How sweet is she? :)

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...