Sunday, October 9, 2011

I love Quotations

I have always loved quotations. I found one of my older journals from middle school and there were pages of quotations in it. lol I post most of them on my facebook page but here are a couple of my more recent finds that truly resonated with me.

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”
Robert Collier


"Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor."
- Truman Capote


“How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.”
- Marilyn Monroe


“There’s only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.”
- Time Must Have a Stop, Aldous Huxley


“You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”
- Text of Steve Jobs’ Commencement address (2005)


You have to know what you stand for, not just what you stand against.
- Laurie Halse Anderson


There must be something in books, things we can’t imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don’t stay for nothing.
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451


“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.”
- Francis Bacon


“We shall go on so quietly and happily together with our books and our music.”
- Sense & Sensibility Jane Austen


"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
- Louisa May Alcott


“There is no man, however wise, who has not at some period of his youth said things, or lived in a way the consciousness of which is so unpleasant to him in later life that he would gladly, if he could, expunge it from his memory.”
- Marcel Proust


“What better way to get to know someone than through her choice and treatment of books?”
- Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


“Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven’t been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn’t it be the other way around? I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void.”
- Kathleen Kelly, You’ve Got Mail (1998)


"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free."
- Frederick Douglass


The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet the steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going.
- Graeme Fife


“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As longs as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”
- Anne Frank

“Night, the beloved. Night, when words fade and things come alive. When the destructive analysis of day is done, and all that is truly important becomes whole and sound again. When man reassembles his fragmentary self and grows with the calm of a tree.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

1 comment:

Bookfool said...

Where do you find all these quotes? Are they from books you're reading or are you looking them up? Just curious. :)

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...