Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

This month at 5 Minutes for Books the Classics Bookclub read Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. I was excited because I could not remember if I ever read it and I wanted to. FYI This was my first time reading it. It was great. I think it is a wonderful adventure story and I enjoyed all the places that they stopped at. The characters are interesting and to me Passepartout stands out the most. I highly recommend this book. :)
My favorite I also really liked is Journey to the Center of the Earth which I have reread several times.

The First Lines Which I loved:
Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814. He was one of the most noticeable members of the Reform Club, though he seemed always to avoid attracting attention; an enigmatical personage, about whom little was known, except that he was a polished man of the world.

Summary:
Phileas Fogg rashly bets his companions £20,000 that he can travel around the entire globe in just eighty days, and he is determined not to lose. Breaking the well-established routine of his daily life, the reserved Englishman immediately sets off for Dover, accompanied by his hot-blooded French manservant, Passepartout. Traveling by train, steamship, sailboat, sledge, and even elephant, they must overcome storms, kidnappings, natural disasters, Sioux attacks, and the dogged Inspector Fix of Scotland Yard to win the extraordinary wager. Combining exploration, adventure, and a thrilling race against time, Around the World in Eighty Days gripped audiences upon its publication and remains hugely popular to this day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever read this. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I will say I do like the miniseries starring Pierce Brosnan though... :)

Bookfool said...

I can't remember if I've read this or not. My brain gets it mixed up with the old David Niven version of the movie, which I just loved. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like Jules Verne.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't see this movie.

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...