Saturday, March 28, 2009

Faith'n Fiction Saturday March 28, 2009

The 2009 Christy Award Nominees were recently announced. Today's assignment is to look at the list of nominees and share with us whether or not you have read any of them. If you haven't read that particular novel, have you read anything by that author? Have you read all of the books in any category? What are your favorite books on the list? Are there any books you haven't heard of?

The Christy Nominees:
CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE
Beyond the Night by Marlo Schalesky • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group
Finding Stefanie by Susan May Warren • Tyndale House Publishers
Zora and Nicky: A Novel in Black and White by Claudia Mair Burney • David C. Cook

CONTEMPORARY SERIES, SEQUELS, AND NOVELLA
SSisterchicks Go Brit! by Robin Jones Gunn • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group
Summer Snow by Nicole Baart • Tyndale House Publishers
You Had Me at Good-bye by Tracey Bateman • FaithWords

CONTEMPORARY STANDALONE
Dogwood by Chris Fabry • Tyndale House Publishers
Embrace Me by Lisa Samson • Thomas Nelson
Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon by Debbie Fuller Thomas • Moody Publishers

FIRST NOVEL
Blue Hole Back Home by Joy Jordan-Lake • David C. Cook
Rain Song by Alice J. Wisler • Bethany House Publishers
Safe at Home by Richard Doster • David C. Cook

HISTORICAL
Shadow of Colossus by T.L. Higley • B&H Publishing Group
Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin • Bethany House Publishers
Washington’s Lady by Nancy Moser • Bethany House Publishers

HISTORICAL ROMANCE
Calico Canyon by Mary Connealy • Barbour Publishers
From a Distance by Tamera Alexander • Bethany House Publishers
The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen • B&H Publishing Group

SUSPENSE
By Reason of Insanity by Randy Singer • Tyndale House Publishers
The Rook by Steven James • Revell
Winter Haven by Athol Dickson • Bethany House Publishers

VISIONARY
The Battle for Vast Dominion by George Bryan Polivka • Harvest House Publishers
Shade by John B. Olson • B&H Publishing Group
Vanish by Tom Pawlik • Tyndale House Publishers

YOUNG ADULT
The Fruit of My Lipstick by Shelley Adina • FaithWords
I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires by Cathy Gohlke • Moody Publishers
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group


My answer:
For contemporary romance I have read Beyond the Night and Finding Stephanie. They were both really good but I think Beyond the Night should win. For contemporary series I have read all three and they were all good too. I would pick Summer Snow by Nicole Baart to win. I read her other book and cannot wait for the next one to come out. :) For contemporary Stand Alone I have read Dogwood and Embrace Me. It is hard to pick between them but I think Embrace Me has the best chance. For first novel I have only read Rain Song but I really liked it so I hope it wins. For historical I have read Shadows of Colossus by T. L. Higley and Until We Reach Home. I would pick Shadows to win even though they were both good. For historical romance I have read Calico Canyon and From a Distance. I would pick From a Distance. I have the second in the series on my TBR list. For suspense I have only read Winter Haven and it was good. I loaned By Reason of Insanity to a lawyer I know and she loved it. So I would pick By Reason of Insanity to win in that category. For Visionary I have not read any of the books so I cannot pick one out. For Young Adult I have read any of those listed but they are still not ones I would have put in the category. I would have put Jenny B. Jones and Debbie Viguie. :)

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Interesting answer. Happy Faith ‘n Fiction Day. Here's my answer:
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/faith-n-fiction-saturday-christy.html

Anonymous said...

Good answer - I'm impressed! Mine is up at Free Spirit-

http://tinyurl.com/ctn4es

Jenny said...

Wow, I'm impressed with how many of the books you've read. I really enjoyed Beyond the Night as well.

Mimi N said...

You've read a lot of those books. I liked Higley & Schalesky to win in their categories. Happy reading.

Blessings,
Mimi
Woven by Words

Nise' said...

Glad for the recommendations. I have not read as many as you have.

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...