Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Salon December 28, 2008

The Sunday Salon.com

* Today I finished reading Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I only read it for the A-Z reading challenge and it was really dry and boring to me. I could sense some of what makes other people say it was great but not all.
* I also read the short story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scot Fiztgerald. I actually read like 3 chapters before we went and saw it in the movies and then finished after. The only thing that is similar is the name and him being born old. All the other details were changed. The movie was very different and much longer. They are too different to compare and both were good in their own right.
* I am currently reading The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane and it is extremely dry and boring. I think I am missing something. I am half way through and I can not see why it is considered a classic yet.
* This weekend I read Sky Burial by Xinran which was actually better than what I expected.
* I also read Sweethearts by Sarah Zarr this week. It was also better than I expected. The ending is the only thing that made me go Ugh! I wanted to know more about the characters and how things ended.
* This week I have about 4 books left to read before the new year and I have to work all day so hopefully at night I will be able to cram them in. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh - this is the first neg review of Remains of the Day I've seen. I have it on my tbr but my last Ishiguro book was not that great.

Congrats on the challenges!

Unknown said...

Hello there (fellow Sunday Saloner),

I find it really weird that the first three books in your post on my Mountain Range TBR list. I did tackle The Red Badge of Courage but wasn't very keen on it. And you've reminded me I need to find Remains of the Day and actually read it!

Regards,
WWAO

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...