Brittanie's Banana Almond Muffins (Healthy)
I have a horrible sweet tooth and I love muffins and cupcakes especially. So I have been trying to make healthier versions of what I love since I started my lifestyle change. This recipe makes 24 muffins and are best warm with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. :)
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
at least five to six ripe bananas mashed up
3 to 4 tsp. vanilla ( I love vanilla so I put 4)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons egg substitute
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup slivered almonds slightly toasted
some extra plain slivered almonds to go on top of muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a small pan with foil and put 1 cup of the silvered almonds on it. Put in the oven to toast for about 3 minutes then take out and stir and put back in for another 2 minutes. Remove to cool.
3. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. (You can sift if you want to)
4. Beat applesauce, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl. It only takes a minute or so and it will be liquidly.
5. Add the mashed bananas and mix together.
6. Mix in the flour mixture until just blended. Do not overmix. Batter will be lumpy.
7. Fold in toasted almonds.
8. Fill lined muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray 3/4 the way full.
9. Top with a few of the untoasted almonds and bake for around 20 minutes. They are done when the tops are a little brown and spring back when you touch them or insert a toothpick and when it comes out clean they are done.
10. Enjoy warm with a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray or real butter. ;)