Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday Salon August 24, 2008

The Sunday Salon.com
* In the early hours of this morning I read 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff.

* It is very short only 97 pages long. It is highly acclaimed and they made a movie out of it. It is nonfiction. To me it is not a love story unless it is one of a woman and her books.

* It all began with a letter inquiring about second-hand books, written by Helene Hanff in New York, and posted to a bookshop at 84, Charing Cross Road in London. As Helene's sarcastic and witty letters are responded to by the stodgy and proper Frank Doel of 84, Charing Cross Road, a relationship develops between her and eventually most of the staff at Marks and Co. Bookstore at 84 Charing Cross Road, London. The letters start in 1949 which is Post World War II. Helene starts sending care packages of eggs and meat to the store because she knows that there is very little still over there. She even sends nylons to Frank's wife and two daughters.
* I really liked it and not sure exactly why but a whole lot of other people feel the same way. It is written in letter form. It is the actual letters sent by the author to the bookstore and its workers and back to her. I have not read many of the books she requested them to find and send her over the course of the 20 years she corresponded with them. I am very intrigued by this author and I am going to get two of her other books from the library.
* That is the only book I read today. Awful I know. I went to a wedding Saturday night and had chocolate cake at 9 which is a mistake for me because it makes me hyper and keeps me awake but it sure did taste good. After going to sleep at 1 and waking up at 10 AM today; I had to do laundry and clean the kitchen. Then my sister and I went to a birthday party for my cousin Finley(2) and my dad(47) at 3:30. So we did not get home until almost 7. I watched TV until 9. Since then I have been online. Hopefully I will do better next weekend. I did read two Hannah Swenson mysteries Friday and Saturday. I am caught up on the series which means I will have to wait until March of next year to read more Hannah Swenson. Lots of other great books to read until then. :)

4 comments:

Megan said...

This has been on my to read list for a while, especially after seeing the movie.

I also have Q's Legacy by the same author and about the same general topic. Do you have any interest in reading more of her books?

Anonymous said...

I love this book - and everything else that Hanff wrote. There is nothing like curling up and spending time with another book lover, which is what you do with this book. The only reason I wouldn't take it to my desert island is that I probably already know it off by heart and so wouldn't need to. Do read her other books, especially if you love literary London.

Wendy said...

I have only heard wonderful things about this little book. If you liked this one, you might also try The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which a lot of people have compared to Hanff's novella. I read it and loved it (and now have Hanff's book on my wish list). My review is here if you're interested.

Bookfool said...

I've read several glowing reviews about this one and I think it's on my wish list. I'll have to look. It sounds wonderful.

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...