Saturday, May 28, 2011

From the Library of A. W. Tozer by James Scott Bell (Review)

 

  • Hardcover: 411 pages

  • Publisher: Bethany House (February 1, 2011)

  • ISBN-13: 978-0764208621

  •  
    Here in one volume are many of the writings that influenced one of the most influential pastors and evangelical thinkers of the 20th century. Today's readers know Tozer's name and have read his classic Pursuit of God, but now they can read the same authors he read and learned from. This unique collection of readings has been thoroughly researched and culled from the people Tozer read and quoted. The selections are arranged thematically--including worship, the attributes of God, oneness with God, and more--to make the book easy to browse or use as devotional reading. This book belongs in every pastor's and thinking Christian's library.
     
    My Review:
    This book is a huge collection of almost 200 excerpts from Christian authors such as John Calvin, Augustine, Charles Spurgeon, Francis of Assissi, George Meuller, John Wesley, Madame Guyon, Martin Luther, and more. One of the things they all have in common is their influence on A. W. Tozer, a famous Christian pastor and author. The book is divided into eight sections including worship, prayer, and living a Christian life. At the end of the book there is a small biography on all the authors and a list of the works the selections came from which I liked. I did not read this book straight through. It is not to me a book you sit down and read like that. I liked the selections that I read. They are not easy to read and will make you think.  It would make a great devotional. I look forward to reading more of the selections. Recommended.  
     
     
    Review copy provided by Bethany House Publishers.

    No comments:

    Classics Club Spin 18

    My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...