Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Brittanie's Turkey Taco Recipe
1 package lean ground turkey
1 8 ounce can salt free tomato sauce
1 tsp. Ground cumin
1 tbp. Ground chili powder
1 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Onion powder
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Dry Orgenao
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
Black pepper (optional)
3/4 to 1 cup water
Various taco toppings ( I used spinach, cheese, and salsa)
1. Brown ground turkey. I sprayed the pan with Pam first because there is almost no fat in the meat and it will stick. It is done when it is white all the way through.
2. Mix the dry spices together and then add to the meat. Stir them around for a minute.
3. I added 3/4 cup water and it was enough to me. Stir it all together and bring to a simmer.
4. Let it simmer on low for about five minutes then add the tomato sauce and let simmer for around another ten minutes. The tomato sauce adds a wonderful flavor and is not overpowering at all. Trust me, I was scared at first. I like to make sure all the flavors are melded together and the meat is done. :)
5. Enjoy with hard or soft taco shells and your favorite toppings. I made a taco salad with no shell since I am trying to eat healthier and it was really good.