Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald



This month for the Classics Bookclub hosted by 5 Minutes for books.com I reread The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I studied it in high school but I really did not remember all the details. The writing is beautiful and there are several good quotations from it. I love this book cover. The main theme is the achieving the American Dream and the book proposed that was what Gatsby was after. Did he achieve it is one of the big questions? I think that may be where the title came from. Overall it is a good story and I think that is why it remains a classic. I love the last page especially the last lines of the book and they really stuck with me so I want to post them here.


Gatsby believed in the green light, The orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . And one fine morning --

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.



Next month's book is Everyone Is Beautiful by Katherine Center. We will be alternating classics with contemporary from here on.

2 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Man, Fitzgerald sure had a way with words, huh? I think this book will be around a long, long time. :)

Thanks for joining in-- hope to see you next month for EIB!

Unknown said...

I don't remember details from the books I read in high school either. That's why it's fun to revisit it.

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...