Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (Review)



  • Hardcover: 304 pages







  • Publisher: Viking Adult (September 29, 2011)







  • Language: English







  • ISBN-13: 978-0670023004






  • The author of The Sharper Your Knife tells the inspiring story of how she helped nine others find their inner cook.

    After graduating from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, writer Kathleen Flinn returned with no idea what to do next, until one day at a supermarket she watched a woman loading her cart with ultraprocessed foods. Flinn's "chefternal" instinct kicked in: she persuaded the stranger to reload with fresh foods, offering her simple recipes for healthy, easy meals.

    The Kitchen Counter Cooking School is essentially "What Not to Wear" meets Michael Pollan.   Inspired by a supermarket encounter with a woman loading up on processed foods, Le Cordon Blue graduate Kathleen Flinn decided to use her recent culinary training to help a group of nine culinary novitiates find their inner cook.  These students invited Kathleen into their kitchens where she took inventory of each person's refrigerator, cabinets and eating habits.  After kitchen "makeovers" and a series of basic lessons where they learned to wield knives, trust their taste and improve their food choices, the women found a common missing ingredient--confidence.  In this new book, Flinn follows these women's journeys and includes practical, healthy tips to boost readers' culinary confidence, strategies to get the most from their grocery dollar and simple recipes to get readers cooking. 
    My Review:
    I loved this book. It is my favorite book I have read this entire year. I was drawn into every one's individual stories and the authors. I learned as much from the lessons as they did. lol I am learning how to cook real food at the old age of 28. I will be keeping this book on a shelf nearby for future reference. The writing was easy to read, flowed good, and held my attention from the beginning. I will be finding a copy of her first book too. Highly Recommended! :)


    Kathleen Flinn has been a writer and journalist for twenty years. Her work has appeared in more than three dozen publications worldwide, including the Chicago Sun-Times, USA Weekend, Men's Fitness, Smithsonian, and the Chicago Tribune, among others. Her first book, The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry was a finalist in the Washington State book awards. She lives in Seattle.

    Review copy provided by publisher.

    4 comments:

    Lucas Kain said...

    Very nice review! Actually, this book caught my eye a bit earlier, saw it somewhere on the internet. Thank you for sharing, will definitely check it out!

    ___
    Cheap Calls Australia

    Bookfool said...

    I've seen a lot of positive reviews of this one. Glad you loved it so much! I've got The Sharper Your Knife, but haven't read it, yet, so I'll read it first.

    Kitchen Benchtops said...

    Thanks, I've recently been looking for info about this topic for a week and yours is the best I've discovered so far.

    Kitchen Benchtops said...

    I believe this is also helpful: it inspires supermarket and Kathleen Flinn decided to use her recent culinary training to help a group of nine culinary novitiates find their inner cook.

    Classics Club Spin 18

    My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...